Student Loan Refinancing
With a lower rate or a shorter term, you may be able to save thousands. Alumni and their families receive a special 0.25% rate discount.
Refinancing involves having a new lender pay off federal and private student loans and issuing a new loan at a potentially lower rate.
Alumni must apply through this website to access these benefits.
Our lending partner, Laurel Road, offers:
- Low rates: Low fixed and variable rates available across different loan periods
- No application or origination fees. No prepayment penalties
- Easy online application process: Check rate options in minutes and avoid all that paper
- Special medical resident and fellow terms: Pay one low monthly payment through residency or fellowship
- Autopay discount: Additional 0.25% rate discount when automatic monthly payments are made from a bank account
All credit products are subject to credit approval. Terms and conditions apply. Click here to learn more
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can refinance?
U.S. citizens or permanent residents with a valid I-551 form (“permanent green card”) are eligible to refinance student loans with Laurel Road.
- Working professionals:
- with four-year undergraduate and/or graduate degrees from Title IV accredited institutions
- who have an associate degree4 in designated professions
- Graduate students and undergraduates in the healthcare industry can refinance student loans as early as their final semester of school, provided they have a signed contract or letter of employment.
- Undergraduates with non-healthcare related degrees can refinance student loans after 12 months of employment following graduation.
- Medical interns, Residents, and Fellows who have matched.
- Parents who took out debt to finance their child’s education may also refinance. To be eligible for the Parent Student Loan Refinancing Program, the child must have attended a Title IV School, but does not need to have graduated.
Loan eligibility depends on lending criteria, such as your credit profile, monthly income, and monthly debt payments.
How to refinance your student loans
- Check rates. A soft credit pull will not affect your credit score.
- Apply. Upload your documents to finalize your rates.
- Comparison shop.
- If approved, choose your loan and e-sign.
Refinancing your loan could provide an opportunity to do one or more of the following:
- Lower your interest rate and save money
- Pay off student loans faster
- Lower monthly payments
- Change from a fixed rate to a variable rate, or vice versa
- Reduce the number of loans in repayment
If student loan debts are being cancelled by the government, do I still need to refinance?
The Biden administration began a plan in late August, 2022 to assist middle-class and working federal student loan borrowers to pay off their debts, including the cancellation of loans. However, you must be an individual that makes less than $125,000 a year or a head of household/couple making less than $250,000 to be eligible.
In addition, the cancellation only applies to $20,000 of your loan if you are a Pell Grant recipient and $10,000 for a non-Pell Grant recipient, which might just be a small dent in your overall debt. So even if you do qualify for these cancellations, it could still be a wise idea to refinance.
Laurel Road is a digital banking platform, and brand of KeyBank, that provides tailored solutions to support the financial wellbeing of healthcare and business professionals. Laurel Road’s banking and lending solutions include student loan refinancing, mortgages, and tailored checking and savings accounts, and more.
In April 2019, Laurel Road became part of KeyBank, one of the nation’s largest bank-based financial services companies.
Notice for Federal Loan Holders: The Department of Education recently announced forgiveness of $10,000 for qualifying Federal student loan borrowers and $20,000 for qualifying Pell Grant recipients. Read more here (https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief-announcement). If you refinance a federal student loan with Laurel Road, you will no longer qualify for forgiveness or federal student loan repayment options, including but not limited to Income Based Repayment (IBR), Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF), Pay As You Earn (PAYE) or Revised Pay As You Earn (REPAYE), and relief offered by the federal government related to the COVID-19 pandemic (such as 0% interest rate, suspension of payments, and forgiveness). Additionally, federal student loans offer deferment, forbearance, and loan forgiveness options that are not available with Laurel Road. Please carefully consider these loss of federal benefits and consult www.studentaid.gov for the most current information.
Laurel Road is a brand of KeyBank N.A. All products are offered by KeyBank N.A. Member FDIC. Student loans, mortgages, personal loans, and credit cards ARE NOT FDIC INSURED OR GUARANTEED. NMLS #399797. Equal Housing Lender. ©2023 KeyCorp® All Rights Reserved.
KeyCorp® All Rights Reserved. Laurel Road is a federally registered service mark of KeyCorp. 3 Corporate Drive, 4th fl, Shelton, CT
If you need a quote or an application or simply have questions, call 800-635-7801, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Trained customer service representatives will be happy to provide the information you need. And naturally you’ll be under no obligation.
For license information, please click here.